Saturday, September 19, 2015
9 am–7 pm
Each year over 35,000 visitors come to BugFest to experience over 100 exhibits, crafts, games and activities. We provide the opportunity for you to interact with entomologists and other scientists so you can continue learning about the fascinating world of bugs. We also feature Café Insecta, where the brave can sample buggy dishes prepared by local chefs. The best part is, it’s all free!
This year's theme bug: CICADAS!
We are underway planning BugFest 2015. Please explore our site to see all the amazing things we had last year!
- Enjoy the entertaining displays, exhibits and activities — both inside and outside the Museum.
- Learn about arthropods, which make up three-quarters of all animals on Earth, during fascinating presentations.
- Taste delectable dishes featuring creepy crawlers as a major ingredient at Café Insecta.
- Join the moths, fireflies and katydids for an exhilarating evening of nocturnal activities at the Evening Insectival.
- Learn how to keep your own hive at a Beekeeping Workshop
- Bring an unusual bug to the Stump the Experts table
Send us an email at the following links if you are interested in:
9 am–5 pm
Jones Street, The Plaza, Edenton Street, and all four floors of the Museum will be filled with buggy fun!
BUGFEST: Evening Insectival
Jones Street, The Plaza, Edenton Street, and the first and second floors of the Museum will be teeming with live bands, bug stations, a nocturnal insect tour and a street carnival.
About the Evening Insectival
If you have ever dreamed of keeping honeybees or you simply find them fascinating, then this class is for you. We will explore the biology and management of a backyard hive and see an active honeybee hive. Additionally we’ll learn about an interesting, low-cost approach to keeping backyard bees and where to obtain honeybees, equipment and advice.
Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Register for The Backyard Beekeeper
Workshop Fee: $10 per person
For more information, contact Kari Wouk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919.707.9879.
BugFest is made possible by generous gifts from the following sponsors:
- Lead Sponsor
Terminix Company of Eastern NC
- Also sponsored by:
- Armstrong’s Cricket Farm
- Leaf and Limb Tree Service
Event presentations and displays are subject to change without notice.